Region Code on Packaging:
The back sleeve of the DVD packaging usually contains a symbol of the DVD region of origin. Check out the Region Codes list for an overview of the respective geographical areas.
Nevertheless, the DVDs can be played on machines in various other regions. For a regional compatibility check, consult the Media – DVD – Technical Details section with a configuration synopsis for each season.
Special information for region 1 DVD customers:
- The original film to create both NTSC (TV format in North America; original U.S. version) and PAL (particularly Europe and Australia) was identical when the show was first produced.
Later, LORIMAR created additional syndication prints of the NTSC version for the U.S. market, which were shortened (editing of approximately three minutes per episode). The region 1 DVD release usually uses unedited versions for the DVD transfer, i.e. episodes in their versions as originally broadcast on CBS. However, sometimes WARNER BROS. mixes up full-length prints and syndication prints, which might lead to some episodes on the DVDs being presented in their shortened versions.
The PAL masters, in contrast, were never shortened by LORIMAR as the production company left it entirely to the foreign TV stations to decide if they wanted to cut the episodes. The TV stations of some countries might have edited or altered parts of some episodes when they aired the show in syndication; typical examples are cuts to make room for more commercials or manipulations of the main titles and the end credits, which might have been replaced with the editorial staff from those TV stations. Since WARNER BROS. only has full PAL masters of each episode, please be advised that the video on the PAL DVDs in regions 2 and 4 is the version of the show as it was originally broadcast on CBS in the U.S. — usually without any manipulations.
Please note that the region 1 DVDs might be edited in some parts due to the use of NTSC syndication prints in contrast to the usually "more complete" episodes on the PAL DVDs in regions 2 and 4.
- The region 1 DVD boxes only have the original audio in American English. Contrary to the European DVDs, they are not equipped with any additional audio layers.
Special information for DVD customers from other regions:
- For customers from countries using PAL TV format, specific recommendations are available in the Media – DVD – Recommendations – Regions 2 & 4 section.
- Before purchasing region 1 DVDs, please consult your instruction manuals about the regional code of your DVD player (or computer disc drive) and — if you live in a country with PAL TV format — if your TV set supports the playback of NTSC. Many modern players and disc drives, particularly if you can reset them to Region 0 (i.e. region-free), are able to play discs from other regions despite the various region-specific tools the studios regularly add to their DVDs, such as RCE (regional coding enhancement).
- In the Media – DVD – Technical Details section, you will find a configuration synopsis for every season. This overview will help you select the country-specific DVD release with the appropriate configuration for your individual system requirements.